主题评价:
  • 0 次(票) - 平均星级: 0
Detailed differences between X-SPDIF 2 and 3
I am considering upgrading from X-SPDIF 2 to 3.
So I would like to know what the differences are in detail between the two and if there is any possibility of a significant improvement in sound quality.
The environment used is a high quality linear power supply, a high quality USB cable with only the signal line with the power line eliminated from the PC, and a high quality I2S cable to an X-Sabre 9038 Pro (unmarked) with a 128fs synchronous drive.

Is it worth replacing in this environment?
回复
(01-18-2024, 05:26 PM)leaves 提到: I am considering upgrading from X-SPDIF 2 to 3.
So I would like to know what the differences are in detail between the two and if there is any possibility of a significant improvement in sound quality.
The environment used is a high quality linear power supply, a high quality USB cable with only the signal line with the power line eliminated from the PC, and a high quality I2S cable to an X-Sabre 9038 Pro (unmarked) with a 128fs synchronous drive.

Is it worth replacing in this environment?
Hi leaves,
The biggest difference between X-SPDIF3 and X-SPDIF 2 is the 3 applied isolation design. The ground wire of USB input is separated with the ground wire of IIS output, which prevents the noise of your computer to transmit to the DAC.
The X-SPDIF3 has more IIS pin definitions, but you are using the X-SABRE Pro, they are compatible, so you can ignore this change.
By the way, Tthe specs of DC power input of X-SPDIF3 is 12V, is your linear power supply has a 12v output?
回复
I don't know much about it, but is it called galvanic isolation? Does that make a big difference in terms of sound quality even if I am using a USB cable with signal wires only?
I forgot to ask, can I use a signal line only USB cable with 3 as well, it works fine with 2.
I am also planning to buy a 12V linear power supply. I am wondering why you changed from 9V to 12V, is it from a sound quality point of view? Or is it because 12V is more versatile?
回复
When we are talking about whether the difference is big or small. This a complicated topic. The ground wire may transmit noises from the computer, but this is not the only one factor regarding the sound quality. I can't confirm if the upgrade brings benifits for your setup.

I don't know what kind of USB cable are you using, one tip for you, there are 4 wires in the USB A-B cable, 5V, GND, Data + and Data -. Only disconnect the 5V wire, don't disconnect the GND. To answer your question, if it works for the X-SPDIF 2, it'll also work for X-SPDIF3.

Personally, I think 12V power is more common and easy to buy.
回复
I understand most of it, thank you for your reply.

I will consider it. If anyone watching this has switched from X-SPDIF 2 to X-SPDIF 3, I would appreciate a report on the difference in sound quality. It would be even more helpful if you could include the DAC you used and how you connected it.
回复
(01-19-2024, 08:37 AM)leaves 提到: I understand most of it, thank you for your reply.

I will consider it. If anyone watching this has switched from X-SPDIF 2 to X-SPDIF 3, I would appreciate a report on the difference in sound quality. It would be even more helpful if you could include the DAC you used and how you connected it.

Hi Leaves,
I only read some comparsion of X-SPDIF 2 and 3 from PS Audio Forums. Here is the link to the thread.
https://forum.psaudio.com/t/matrix-x-spdif-2/9116/5800
回复
Hi,
Thank you for taking the trouble to find me.
It looks pretty good, I will seriously consider it.
回复

论坛跳转:

正在浏览该主题的用户: 1 个游客